Photo Source: WorldBalintawak.com
What is Balintawak?
Bryan began his balintawak journey at the age of 15 under the tutelage of his primary instructor Guro Jeff Soriano. Bryan was introduced to GM Bobby Taboada the following year, making trips to Charlotte with Guro Jeff every weekend to continue his training. In 2012 Bryan, by request of GM Taboada, tested for his "Completion of the Art" title before relocating to Los Angeles to pursue a career in film.
Bryan has also trained Serrada Eskrima, Jeet Kune Do, Panantukan, Boxing and various other combative styles. In 2018, Bryan returned home to GM Taboada with three of his own students, subsequently earning his own Full Qualified Instructor title.
In 2019, with permission and blessing, Bryan established Balintawak LA. The school has attracted a wide variety of practitioners including stunt performers, actors, and martial artists from various backgrounds. Bryan still resides in Los Angeles, where he continues to teach and work.
- Formal Bow
- 12 Basic Strikes In Control
- 12 Basic Strikes Full Power
- Shadow Fighting Form
- Basic Blocks (Side To Side)
- Basic Blocks (High, Low and Center)
- 12 Defense & Counter In Control
- 12 Defense & Counter No Control
- Semi Hitting while in the defensive stage 1, 2, & 3 Strikes
- Lifting And Clearing
- Lifting And Clearing combined with Head Movement
- Preparation for Body Flexibility
- Preparation for Speed & Reflexes
- Defense Against Punches While In Stick Fighting Motion
- Butting Techniques
- Pushing and Pulling
- Applications within The Grouping System
- Be able to teach Levels 1, 2 & 3
- 12 Forehand Disarm Techniques
- 12 Backhand Disarm Techniques
- Application to disarms
- Be able to teach Levels 1, 2, 3 & 4
- 12 Semi Advanced Combination Techniques
- Incorporate 6 Strikes Minimum
- Applications within The Grouping System Followed by Strikes
Be able to teach Levels 1 through 6